Sunday, November 22, 2015

Do You Love to Write as Much as You Think?

   

 Hey guys based on the title of this post, I'm sure you can tell what I'm going to be talking about today. Do you love to write as much as you think? Now, for many of you, this probably is the stupidest question you've ever heard. Of course you love to write and you could write pages and pages of words without faltering. Create a world from your mind and splay it before your eyes on a page. And that my fellow bibliophiles is just amazing.
      I want to tell you guys a story. I'm currently in high school, and once my mom asked me if I had any plans for college. Like what I wanted to major in, what I wanted to do, all that scary stuff. I didn't know for sure, but I thought I wanted to major in creative writing, in fact, I was SURE I wanted to. I was convinced that I would major in creative writing in college and do a job I loved: writing. And then my mom went and told me about her friends son and how he was applying for college and how he didn't follow his passions as much. Then she went on about how my mom's friend was saying that it's great that I'm blogging, that colleges love that and I'm following my passion. This affected me way more than I expected.
      I remember when I was, eleven, maybe twelve years old and Sarah J. Maas' debut novel came out. Throne of Glass inspired my first spark to write. And it wasn't even really a spark, it was more of a force. I made myself learn to enjoy writing. How crazy is that?! And so, throughout my middle school years, Wattpad became my home and my account is STILL up with the shit I wrote. If you check it out I fill find you! DO NOT GO CHECK IT OUT. Nah, I'm kidding, but seriously if you do go read it you will embarrass me for life. When I went into high school I hardly had any time to write, I had taken a hiatus with writing over the summer, but I never felt that urge to write.
      That takes us back to when my mom told me her friends advice: to follow my passions. I realized I didn't like writing. I mean, every now and then sure I had the urge to create a story, but in the long run...it just didn't work out. So what was my passion? And if you haven't guessed it already, I have realized my passion is books.
      Now how do you find a job that isn't writing but has to do with books? Publishing! So I don't know if this story hit you guys with the sudden realization that, "Holy lord, my entire life has been a lie. I LIED TO MYSELF" then okay, that's cool you know something more about me. If it hit you the way it hit me, then I say don't be afraid. Because let me tell you, when you guys comment, follow or even talk to me on Twitter, it makes me so happy. Like, I parade around my room for a good five minutes. Writing and talking about books just makes me so happy and I realized, that's what you call a passion.

So...let's get down to the real question at hand: Do You Love to Write as Much as You Think?


2 comments:

  1. I adore this post! I'm glad you figured out writing wasn't the path for you before college - hopefully now you won't become the perpetual major-switching cliche. :) I've never wanted to be an author, but I've had people tell me I should be. (I guess because they think my getting good grades on essays means I'd be a good fiction writer? So not true.) But my passion, like yours, is books - not writing them, but promoting the ones I love. I'd much rather convince people to read an amazing novel than make myself a stressed and miserable mess trying to write my own.

    Thanks for your comment on my post about John Green haters, by the way! Not everyone will love his writing, but we shouldn't hate on him just because he's so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked this post. Books make me unbelievably happy, and well...writing doesn't. Hahaha...and no problem! I totally agree, John Green isn't amazingly great, but I don't hate him! makes people sound petty for hating him based on his popularity! :)

      Delete

All comments are appreciated so much! Thanks for shooting a comment, they always make my day!