Thursday, November 19, 2015

Review » Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo



Six of Crows
By Leigh Bardugo
Release Date: 9/29/15
Published by Henry and Holt Company 
Genre(s): Adventure, Action
Format: ARC
Page: 465

Buy on Amazon | Buy on B&N | Add to Goodreads 

MY RATING: 5 Stars 

DESCRIPTION IN 6 WORDS
Heist, Drugs, Danger, Gangs, Magic, Darkness

Goodreads Description
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...A convict with a thirst for revenge. A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager. A runaway with a privileged past. A spy known as the Wraith. A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

      First of all, I hope you guys noticed my fancy new HTML work. I'm really loving it and I hope it adds a nice touch to my blog. Anyways, let's get back to how amazing and fantastic Six of Crows was. This book was hugely anticipated book of 2016 and I was totally surprised I hadn't heard of it all until like, March of 2016. Totally crazy, but I was really excited for this book. This year, I actually went to San Diego Comic Con and was lucky enough to receive an ARC a couple months early and meet Leigh! It was such an amazing and fun experience, I woke up at 4:30 AM and stood in line for an extra 3 hours for this ARC! Then I got yelled at for speed walking. Oops.
     Throughout Six of Crows you can tell how much Leigh's writing has improved since her debut, Shadow and Bone, which mind you, was also utterly fantastic. But Six of Crows was just so much better! I do have to admit that Six of Crows was of the slower stories, it's action was really holed up towards the end in the climax of the story. And though the action wasn't as prominent in the beginning, the descriptions made up for it. Leigh did such an amazing job at describing every single scene throughout Six of Crows, I could see even more of the Grisha world through the ink that stained the pages of the book. It was just that good, and though I'm not a big writer, when I do write I love to describe. And Leigh did it perfectly when writing Six of Crows. 
     Onto my second favorite part of this book. THE CHARACTERS! Oh my sweet goodness, Six of Crows had some of the loveliest characters I have ever read about. They felt so real. I enjoy characters that are well rounded, they are interesting, have personality and have a history. Leigh hit the mark for every single one of her six main characters. Now in my opinion, this is true talent. Why? Because writing characters is hard, writing one well character rounded character with thoughts and personality and all the good stuff is hard. Never mind six! But Leigh did it, she achieved it so well. Six of Crows has some of the best character I've read about in a long time. From Kaz, to Wylan, they all hold something special in them - a spark.
      Finally, I really want to touch on the subject of the plot. Now, I'll be honest, Six of Crows is a dark book. It has gangs, drugs, murder, merciless torture and all the like. But that really makes me love it more. Together with the utterly fantastic characters, the details Leigh built the world on, and the dark and cold nature of certain parts of the book (i.e. the torture, drugs and murder) Six of Crows is the perfect combination of a great story. Also, if you haven't read the Grisha trilogy yet, you can still read Six of Crows, though I do recommend you read the Grisha trilogy as they are fantastic as well! 











2 comments:

  1. YOU HAVE AN ARC OF THIS AND YOU GOT TO MEET LEIGH? ...as a huge fan of Leigh, I am very very jealous but also extremely happy for you! CONGRATS ON ALL THAT xD I loved The Grisha trilogy and I've heard very high praises of this new book. So...if I loved the Grisha books...and this book is supposedly better, I SHOULD READ IT ASAP RIGHT??? right. I'm can't wait to dive in a;sldkjfasldfj :D:D:D

    YOU HAVE A GREAT REVIEW HERE! And your html is quite lovely. I actually don't know what your blog looked like before you made any changes, but as a new comer, I must say that your whole layout is pleasing on the eyes! Nice job! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool meeting Leigh. And Thank You, I'm glad you liked the html. And OH GOSH YOU SHOULD TOTALLY READ SOC! OMIGOD I DONT KNOW HOW YOU HAVENT ALREADY! It was legit amazing, better than grisha I would say!

      Delete

All comments are appreciated so much! Thanks for shooting a comment, they always make my day!