Friday, November 6, 2015

Review » The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys

By Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: 9/18/12
Published by Scholastic Press
Genre(s): Magic, Paranormal, Ghosts, Romance
Format: Hardcover
Page: 416

Buy on Amazon | Buy on B&N | Add to Goodreads

MY RATING: 5 Stars

DESCRIPTION IN 6 WORDS
True Love = Dead, Dead Princes, Psychics

Goodreads Description
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.




      THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING! I read this book when I was in sixth grade, and it was amazing. I remember it being one of the top books of 2012, so I decided why the hell shouldn't I borrow it from my middle school library? I am so glad I read The Raven Boys because everything about it was just so fantastic! I cannot emphasize that enough! Though, in my personal opinion - the beginning was a little slow. I found that the first 50 - 70 pages were a little slow. But it was still so amazing as a whole. That's one of the good things about The Raven Boys, though the first 70 pages or so are slow, it's more of a buildup towards a bigger better storyline. I was very impressed at how well the storyline flows and the end just went out with a bang! I definitely need to say that The Raven Boys isn't an action packed story, along with the other books in the  series. The Raven Boys is definitely more a mystery book with a nice spark of magic and romance I just love! 
      I really want to say a little more on the plot. In my opinion, the synopsis really tells little about what the book is about as a whole. When I first read The Raven Boys I was for sure going in blind and had no clue what it could possibly be really about. So to put it simple: Blue Sargent is a girl who will kill her true love with her first kiss, Gansey is the suggested true love. But the plot as a whole is about Gansey and his strange obsession with finding a dead missing welsh prince named Glendower who will supposedly grant a wish to whomever finds him. The book is about how Blue, Gansey, Ronan, Adam and Noah unlock clues and uncover magic surrounding the mystery of the lost prince. And I have to say that The Raven Boys has the most unique plot I have ever read in a book. 
      Another thing that made The Raven Boys perfect was the characters. Blue Sargent is one of those girls that make me want to be more unique. To show my passion for books, writing and drawing more. Blue Sargent was definitely such an inspiring character and she is funny, sarcastic and has some awesome wit. Though she isn't rich, or middle class, Blue is poor - she still has an upbeat personality that makes me want to laugh out loud while I'm reading. Every character in the this book is so different and unique I just want to give them a big hug. Gansey is such a sweetheart and Ronan is such a badass, Stiefvater definitely has got a talent for writing her characters. 
      Overall, I'm sure you can see that I am a huge fan of these books. All of them are just so amazing. I highly recommend them if you like charming rich boys, magic and mysteries. Though The Raven Boys is a slower story, the whole series is in a way, as a whole it's one of those books that makes you gaze into the sky and just say, wow
     

4 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of this book right now. I'm somewhere around page 250. I started it months ago and got busy with life and left it at work for weeks. I picked it back up a few weeks ago and have finally gotten hooked. I'd love to tell you what hooked me, but don't want to put out any spoilers. I'm looking forward to finishing it and continuing with the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! The other books are amazing and the story...*melts into puddle* SO GOOD! :D

      Delete
  2. GREAT POST! I LOVED THIS BOOK *flails* When I went into it xD ALL I KNEW WAS THAT THERE WAS A GANSEY AND HE MAKES PEOPLE SWOON SO I WAS LIKE *claps hands* I'M GAME!

    I think my favorite thing about this book was how Maggie created so many well written characters and made me interested in ALL of them! HOW DID SHE DO THAT? And ...I just feel, in hindsight, that there were quite a few characters to keep up with. That should have been confusing, right? BUT IT WASN'T! They were all unique individuals with deep personalities. It was wonderful! By far my favorite read this year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Every single one of her characters are so...angular? Maybe flexible? I don't know but they have many lifelike qualities that remind me of real people. :)

      Delete

All comments are appreciated so much! Thanks for shooting a comment, they always make my day!