Thursday, October 29, 2015

Review » The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey

The Girl at Midnight

By Melissa Grey
Release Date: 4/28/15
Published by Delacorte Press
Genre(s): Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Format: Hardcover
Page: 357

Buy on Amazon | Buy on B&N | Add to Goodreads 

MY RATING: 4.5 Stars 

DESCRIPTION IN 6 WORDS
Bird People, Dragon People, Magic, Adventure

Goodreads Description 
Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known. Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act. Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, though if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it's how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it. But some jobs aren't as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.



      Can I tell you I was surprised by how fantastically awesome and amazing this book was? I'm going to tell you the truth, when The Girl at Midnight first came out, it didn't spark my interest at all. I had read it's description but at the end of the day, I still had trouble understanding what this book was about exactly. So if you don't understand, and my six word description didn't help, this is what it's about. The Girl at Midnight is about Echo, a New York City orphan who lives with these bird people called Avicen. Yes, they are bird people, with feathers and everything. The main story is how Echo has to find "The Firebird" a mythological being that as lots of power, and the Avicen want it to end a war between Dragon People who I honestly can't remember the technical name. Anyways, Echo has to find this Firebird before the Dragon People do, while the Avicen want peace between them and the Dragon People, the Dragon people wish to wage war and destroy the Avicen Race with the Firebird. 
      When I first picked up this book it sounded like a rip of of Laini Taylor's, Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Though I agree, it does have some similarities, The Girl at Midnight is definitely very unique. One of the things that made this book awesome and totally lovable was Echo herself. She's doesn't have magic, but she still has power. She can fight for herself, she's street smart! Along with that, Echo is a really badass character and I really just loved her as a whole. 
      The plot just blew my mind! When I finished, I was mind blown, my thought process was jacked because of The Girl at Midnight! Throughout the book, the storyline never falters, it's fun and adventurous with hints of adorable yet dangerous romance! Along with that, like the fantastic, The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, The Girl at Midnight has a plot twist! I said it, a PLOT TWIST! And I don't know about you, but, plot twists are my favorite. They crush my soul and twist my gut at the same time! So if you like plot twists, like me, pick up this book!
      On a final note, I really want to enforce the fact on my love for this book. One of my favorite parts of it, besides Echo and her awesome characterization, was the magic. I'm a reader that lives off magic, every now and then I imagine I have superpowers. I mean...how crazy is that?! The Girl at Midnight has such an amazing fantastical world full of creatures and beasts, magic and mayhem!! And to top it, The Girl at Midnight overlaps with our modern day world, which to be honest, it made my imagination go wild. I cannot wait for the second book in this series, The Shadow Hour, I have high expectations and am so excited to be mindblown again in the sequel! Thank you very much for reading! See you later! 

~ Claire 




4 comments:

  1. This one has been sitting on my shelf for such a long time. I need to start it!

    I'm so happy you enjoyed this one! I was wary of the bird people, but after Magonia, I think I'm ready. And I'm always here for a good plot twist!

    Thanks for the review Claire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Magonia! I haven't been able to get it yet!!! Have fun reading The Girl at Midnight! Thanks for the comment, it means a lot! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! I've looked at this one, but like you, I thought it seemed to similar to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. But after reading this, I might just have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you want to check it out! Makes me happy! >_< Thanks for the comment!! :)

      Delete

All comments are appreciated so much! Thanks for shooting a comment, they always make my day!