Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday » Top 10 Things that Scare Me in Books


This meme is hosted by the amazing Broke and Bookish. She has an amazing blog and some cool tweets to share so go check her out!

This weeks topic was a freebie Halloween theme, so I decided to choose the Top 10 things that scare me in books. I'm gonna be completely honest, not many books scare me, but every now and then I do get a little spooked! Soooo . . . let's get started!


#1: Ghosts 
Let me tell you, ghosts freak me out. I love scary movies, but at the same time - I lose sleep. Same thing goes for some of the scarier books involving evil ghosts and such. For instance, ever since I read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, I never really saw Ouija boards the same way again!

#2: Dolls
All dolls scare me. I'm gonna admit that right now. They are creepy with their blank scary eyes and their plastic weird hair and little dresses. It's all super creepy to me, and I'm sure it's super creepy to a lot of you as well. And I'm talking dolls, not stuffed animals or that cute stuff I love along with books, but legitimate 100 year old dolls.

#3: Mirror Creatures
You've probably have never heard of a "Mirror Creature", but it's what I call them. Any sort of monster, creature, ghost - whatever! that comes out of a mirror creeps me out. I know it's super weird, I am really superstitious about mirror for some reason. Though I do love to write about them, to me, mirrors are real mysteries. But they still creep me out!

#4: Evil Faeries
Faeries are cool. I love books that have fae in them, but when we get into the different types of faeries, the scarier ones like the ones that take your firstborn - those are scary. When I was younger I loved to read about faeries and their abilities and what good luck and bad luck they caused. But I was always freaked out about some of the stories I read that said faeries were the cause of a murder or a drowning or something. I guess sometimes I'm just too superstitious for my own good!

#5: Cryptids
These aren't really a big part of books, but in those informational books all about cryptids...*shudder*, not thank you. I was in elementary school and I checked out this book at the school library and it was all about cryptids, and if you don't know what they are some famous examples are Big Foot, The Loch Ness Monster, and the Chupacabra. Trust me, I can name a lot more than that. And Cryptids don't really scare me much anymore, but when I was younger they would literally keep me up at night. There was a cryptid called "shadow people" and they were people made of shadows that would appear out of walls and mirrors, basically dark splothes like shadows and with white circles for eyes. And they kept me up at night, I admit it!

#6: Suspense
Okay, I guess this isn't exactly something to be scared of, but for me if a book is suspenseful it very much keeps me on my toes - especially when I'm reading it at night! Adding on to that, suspense is one of those things I love, but at the same time it gives me a thrill of fear!

#7: Zombies
Let me get this straight. Zombies do NOT scare me that much, they creep me out. Especially after I read the first two books in Gena Showalter's series, Alice in Zombieland. Ummm, let me just say cuh-reepy! Those zombies in my opinion were pretty cool but I did not like the fact that the zombies could bust down my front door at anytime and eat my soul. Not my vision of a good night of reading!

#8: Demonic Monsters
Demons themselves don't scare me, and when I say this I mean demons that look human, like Roth from JLA's White Hot Kiss or Eidolon Demons from Shadowhunter Universe Books. I'm talking about the demons that hiss at you and eat you alive and look like monsters. Really not a big fan!

#9: Vampires
I'm not talking sparkly Edward okay? I'm talking the ones that are legitimately scary in some books. I actually love vampires, but you gotta admit - you've always thought of what goes bump in the night.

#10: Dorothy
Okay, Okay! I know it's a bit ridiculous but I couldn't think of anything else, seriously! After reading Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige, I was shocked! How could Paige have done such a good job at a Prostitute version of Dorothy who is totally totally evil?! Anyways, Paige's version of Dorothy was pretty scary.  



And that's all for today! I hope you liked my answers, tell me some of the things that scare you in books! :) 

~ Claire 

4 comments:

  1. MIRRORS! they've totally creeped me out since like... elementary school and bloody mary! I haven't read Dorothy Must Die but I want to! and I haven't read any zombie books even though The Walking Dead is one of my favorite show ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents forced me to Bloody Mary when I was younger to show me it wasn't real! Dorothy Must Die wasn't like totally swoon worthy, but I really have this strong urge to see what happens next!!!! I'm not too big on zombie books, but Alice in Zombieland was great! Walking Dead is pretty cool too! :)

      Delete
  2. The biggest thing that gets me in scary books (and also movies)? BODY HORROR. e.g. limbs getting amputated, lips getting sewn shut, that kind of stuff. I have to fully wrap myself in a big fluffy blanket to be able to read/watch anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of stuff makes me shudder and my stomach roll! Big fluffy blankets are the best to read under! So warm and PLUSH! :)

      Delete

All comments are appreciated so much! Thanks for shooting a comment, they always make my day!